Skip to main content

Later in April 2017 - Flopjogs and Jumpies

Beau Bayou Blog - Later in April 2017
Flopjogs, jumpies, Easter Eggs and finally graduating from 'Terminally Terrified'

Combined Training Qualifier
This has to have been Beau's favourite month with me so far!  We've been jump training with Alison to try and get my head round the whole jumping thing ready for the combined training qualifier on 9th April.  My issue has never been with the actual jumping, but for some reason cantering round a course of jumps was filling me with terror.  So we went right back to basics and used trot/canter poles, and small jumps at trot.  We then graduated to jumps fro trot with no poles, and finally hired a small course at Glebe Farm in Northants to attempt jumping more than one fence.  

Beau loves his jumping.  Lots.  In fact he loves it so much he once finished an arena eventing course after his jockey fell off at fence 3!  He is also very soft in the mouth, but strong, so bitting has been a challenge.  He came with a Waterford pelham which works well, but he does tend to back off it after a while.  I found his solution in the form of a myler combination bit.  I use it with two reins, so ride from the snaffle, but have emergency brakes from the bottom rein if required!  It means he has the confidence to go forward, and I have the confidence that I can pull him up if need be. 

So with the change of headgear, the training and practise, tears, snot and sheer determination to stop being so daft, I pronounced myself ready to attempt the Combined Training qualifier for Cherwell valley RC.

When we got there i was surprisingly relaxed.  We were in plenty of time, I had sort of read the dressage test and Tory was lined up to read for me.  All the gear was laid out in the lorry and by 9am I had walked the showjumping course half a dozen times.

Dressage warm up went fine and we tootled quietly round waiting to be called.  I was called early, so went for it (why prolong the agony?) and had made it as far as the judge's car when the bell went.  I 
tried my best to achieve the lovely bouncy forward trot he gets when we're jumping, but only succeeded in winding him up.  It went OK though apart from the walk on a free rein, which turned into a flopjog across the diagonal because I asked for far too much and bless him, he responded.  I have yet to see my sheet but as flopjog isn't even an option I suspect we got a 4 for that double score movement.  Hey ho.  64.8% was i think our score, which is not bad considering what we chucked away!

After the dressage i had an hour before the jumping was to start.  So I went and watched others to make sure I knew the course ( you can't have a caller in showjumping!) and tried to stay calm.  It mostly worked and i installed what I thought was my poker face only to be asked by the steward if I was OK - 'you look petrified' she said.  I was.

In the end I had an absolute blast.  Beau took me round the full course of showjumps at canter and clear!  Not only that but I was lucky enough to be in a qualifying team so we're off to the BRC Festival of the Horse in May!  My score was dropped because we had 11 time faults.  This year the time faults were not because I was making Beau walk between fences so i could cry, they were because my back protector was pushing up into my bun which in turn was squashing my hat over my eyes - so I had to pull up to re-adjust.  Doh.


CVRC Winter Championships
The day prior to the Combined Training I had been helping at the Cherwell Valley RC winter dressage championships.  It was surprisingly hot (as I write the frost is back now) but such a smiley happy relaxed day - lovely to see so many people out enjoying their ponies

Driving Trec
Back to work for the week, then the following weekend I went to help my friends with what I thought was going to be carriage driving treasure hunt - but turned out to be driving Trec.  It was brilliant!  We went off orienteering (with a map) for 50 minutes - coming back within 10 seconds of the optimum time (Maloney had to walk sooooooooooo slowly so we weren't too early).  Then there was a round of what I can only describe as driving handy pony in an arena.  Driver Grant is a demon round the cones - very accurately driven.  I have to say the people running the competition and competing were all lovely.  It was such a fun day and I hope I am invited back



CHOCOLATE!
On Easter Saturday Mum and Dad made the journey down to see us, because the Easter Bunny had accidentally delivered our chocolate eggs to their house instead of ours.  Silly Easter Bunny.  We all went out to lunch and had a lovely day.  Hate waving Mum and Dad off at the end of the day, but very glad to have seen them albeit briefly :) 

Team Quest
Back on Beau to compete at Team Quest the following day.  That was "interesting"!  I can officially describe myself now as 'worriedaboutunusualstuff' as opposed to 'terminallyterrfied'.  I have finally graduated.  I know this because of the goblins at H.  One minute I was changing the rein towards H, the next minute I was hanging off with one knee and facing B!  Needless to say that movement was awarded a 4.  And our collectives weren't anything to smile at either.  The judge said "Disturbance at H!!".  

My Graduation
The GREAT thing that happened though was that instead of going into meltdown I found it funny, and instead of writing the whole thing off I tried my best to finish the test properly.  None of this was conscious, just observed afterwards.  I am really chuffed with that, and we didn't look too bad either
  



Beaten by little Sis :( 
The icing on the cake was Tory followed in the same class, also on Beau, and battered my score!  I expected that.  Of course it was only because I'd ridden the spook out of him ;)

Horse Agility
Whilst we were out, Simon and Parker had an agility session which they both enjoyed.  It was arranged at CVRC so there were 8 combinations there.  Plenty of opportunity to learn from each other.  Horse Agility involves being unmounted, and tackling obstacles together like walking over poles, opening gates and reversing through channels.  Hopefully it will help with Parker's loading issues ultimately too because he's about ready to get out and compete.  His trot is MASSIVE!  

ChChCh Chip and Dale
Thanks to Mrs Whipcracker for hosting and to Aunty Amanda for looking after the troops.  That was supposed to have been my job, but one of our Questers had broken down so Tory and I were Rescue Rangers in Buxton the truck so she could compete for the club


Beau and me IN PRINT!
In other news, Beau and me made it into Your Horse Mag this month!  :D:D  we're the headline pic for in-hand work to train your horse's core.  Well worth a read.  Ignore Grumpy's expression, it's normal for him.  He is definitely in no pain and was enjoying himself in his own way











What happens when I 'do dressage'
Our training continues apace, dressage is actually quite hard work - look!  



Neue Schule and @SolitaireDTM (Alison)
Alison is my trainer and friend.  We're a really good team, and very supportive of each other because we're both through to the semi finals of the Neue Schule Bits sponsorship competition!  I am not sure what our chances are - we're practically a BOGOF but we're up against some professionals with thousands of social media followers, so it just depends on what @nsbits are looking for :)  Remember to share on FB and Twitter with @nsbits and #nsnexttopjockey.  We're going to need all the help we can get.  Love you all MORE if you help :D

Love Tam and Beau x

Comments

  1. Haha! I know the fear of the showjumping course alllll to well. And about those 11 faults... The first time I took my baby horse to an event at beginner novice, we finished on a score of 117 (?) something around there. I trotted the entire cross country course, and some of the show jump. BUT WE FINISHED!! That's what counts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100% right! In fact - what counts is that you even started!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Me too some days - but I am starting to understand the appeal of dressage these days too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All About Tack

I don’t know about you but I always seem to be skint.  If I ever have any spare cash I spend it immediately on a lesson or a competition, or if I am feeling very flush (or have a desperate need), new tack for my beloved horse.  Tack is a tool, a fashion statement, a way to show off your horse’s best features, to show you understand the new field of equestrian science or simply to display your own good taste in saddles.  It can help or hinder your horse as much as bad riding, and if chosen well it can improve your riding too.  Always use a qualified saddle fitter to help you – they have been thoroughly trained by the Society for Master Saddlers – a list is available on their website here:  https://www.mastersaddlers.co.uk/ £ There’s no getting away from it though – it’s an investment.   Decent tack from nosebands to discipline specific saddles is expensive.   Even if you trawl eBay and pick up good quality second-hand tack it’s still not cheap to buy, or to have to replace – so

Comfort Gut Standard, Pro and Ultimate. Miracle panacea?

Of our 4 horses 3 of them needed a boost of some kind or another.  Beau had ulcers in his youth, Parker is a stress-head and Stella is a busybody who loses confidence in stress situations I read that once a horse has had ulcers, they either always have them or always have the risk of recurrence.  Beau has always shown irritation when being girthed up.  I always do it gradually and only as tight as it needs to be which is really important, especially if the girth has elastic inserts.  It's hard to tell whether that's just his grumpiness (he likes his own space best) or discomfort, but I decided not to take a chance and started him on Comfort Gut  Parker is a big stressy juggernaut. Most days he is fine and relaxed and settled.  However some days he worries if Beau is not in eye-shot, or if he is in eye-shot.  He worries if someone else is being exercised, or if nobody is being exercised!  His droppings have a tendency to a pat-like consistency, and he wriggles and jiggles an

June 2017 - It's all about the socks

Confidence Crisis - the end of a love affair? This month, mine and Beau's journey was featured in a blog post by another #horseyblogger - Happyhooves83.  It was so touching and so encouraging to read.  It's my story and I shared it with her but somehow seeing it written down with somebody else's viewpoint really touched me.  It made me cry happy tears! Have a read here:  https://happyhoovesblog.wordpress.com/2017/06/01/ Centaur Biomechanics I was also lucky enough to be invited to the Centaur Biomechanics day at Moulton College on rider confidence.  It was a truly eye opening and amazing day.   Centaur are part of the team that brought us the knowledge that has gone into Fairfax saddles, shaped girths and pressure free bridles.  Read their intro here for more information:  http://www.centaurbiomechanics.co.uk/ The opening session was on nerves and conquering fear.   The speaker was Charlie Unwin , a renowned sports psychologist who has competed at the top level